Monday, December 6, 2010

I Hope I'm Doing the Right Thing

So last week, I got a call from someone.

It's a long story, with several phone calls, two online exams and a bunch of "yes, ma'ams" involved.

Condensed version: she's calling on behalf of DISNEY.

Yes, as in Walt Disney. The one with all the theme parks and that stupid cartoon mouse with the stupid cartoon voice.

They're looking for a QA tester who speaks Mandarin, which is pretty much the capsule form of my CV.

And I said no.

Like, seriously. That's effing Disney. 

And I said no.

Because I'd rather stay here, stick it out with my present job while I find a university that will let me teach part time. Maybe learn French. Get some kind of hobby.

So I said no.

And I know it will be difficult. And it will be tiring. And things might turn ugly. And when everything goes wrong I might look back at this moment and think, "I was so stupid".

But I'll still say no.

Because this -- what I have now -- it's the start of the life I want.

3 comments:

  1. Good on you Krys. Putting the I in integrity (twice).

    Glad you're more sure about things now. Also, kinda Disney has an iffy reputation as an employer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I told my friends about this and they started proposing a "sisters round" -- it's a sorority thing where every sister gets a chance to slap you for doing something stupid.

    I'm a lot more sure about things now. Funny how actually graduating cleared things up for me.

    And yes, I really don't want to work for a cryogenically frozen old man. That's what Walt Disney is, right? He's waiting for the Jews to die out so he can thaw himself and rule the world.

    (I don't know anything about Disney, obviously)

    ReplyDelete